Juncal Glacier: Hiking - Full Day - Hard
Take a trek to a huge glacier close to Santiago.
Journey into a beautiful mountain valley located deep in the middle of the Andes. Juncal is one of the biggest glaciers systems of the central Andes. Be amazed by the 20,000 ft. ice peaks and giant rock walls of 9000 vertical ft. Juncal Andean park has a great marsh lands and won the Ramsar category in order to protect those wetlands and the fauna around it.
4 hours of ascent and 3 hours of descent. 7 hours round trip (rest time has been included)
2,5 hours of transportation on the car from Santiago to the beginning of the path.
Lenght: 5 miles (ascent) / Ramp: 1.650 ft / Top of the path: 9.850 ft.
October to June. Depending on the amount of snow on road, the hiking could be longer. The company will provide snowshoes or alpine touring skis according with the passengers preference. *Use of alpine touring skis has an extra charge.
Age of participants must be between 14 and 75 years old. Physical and medical condition must be compatible with activity (When in doubt, please ask).
The times on the itinerary below are an approximation of the schedule. These times could vary depending on weather and the speed of your group. A more accurate pick -up time will delivered once we receive your pick -up address obtained through the booking process.
- 8:30 Transport from your hotel or meeting point.
- 10:30 The 4x4 reaches the land road, the adventure starts! Crossing streams and rivers along the amazing valleys.
- 11:00 We start hiking into the valley. Giant rock walls in front of us and the furious river along the path are your landscape now. Breathtaking views while you walk by an easy pretty flat trail.
- 13:00 We reach the glacier and start walking up over it!.
- 14:00 Lunch over the ice, and stunning views of the hanging glacier, deep ice blue bowls and the huge peaks.
- 14:30 Hiking down the valley with breathtaking landscapes and colors.
- 16:30 We take the 4x4 to come back to Santiago.
- 19:30 Arrival to your hotel or meeting point in Santiago.
Alternative - Add an extra day: We can add a second day on this trip, camping before the glacier under and incredible stary andean sky. We will have more time to enjoy the surroundings and walk longer over the glacier.
Warning: This activity could include hiking in irregular terrain, driving by unmaintained land road, sudden changes of weather and walking under strong sun.
- Private transportation between all the points.
- Guides: 1 each 4 clients
- Hiking poles
- Lunch Box (isotonic juice, granola or energy bars, sandwich, fruits, cookies, chocolate)
- Park fee
- First aid kit
- VHF Radio and Satelital Phone
Extras for 2 day Itinerary:
- Tents and group cooking set
- Extra meals
What's not included
- Personal Clothing (Please check "Gear")
- Small backpack - Large backpack needed for two day itinerary (rent available).
- Personal Insurance
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad (only for the two day itinerary)
What to bring:
- Small backpack. If you haven´t, we can rent to you. (10 USD)
- First layer or sport t-shirt
- Polar Fleece or similar
- Wind jacket
- Hiking pants or similar comfortable to walk/ shorts (ask for the weather the day before)
- Hiking shoes
- Sun glasses
- Sun hat/ lipbalm
- Sandals (crocs or bammers style are useful for the river crossing)
- Summer gear
- Down or puffy Jacket
- First layer upper and lower body
- Liner gloves
- Wool hat
- Balaclava/ Neck gator